Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 91 pound lab jumped on my counter when I was gone and…

My 91 pound lab...

My 91 pound lab jumped on my counter when I was gone and consumed 100 of the welactin soft gel capsules. Will it hurt him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Rock and he turned 2 in November

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rock?

2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rock?

No he just had his yearly check up and everything was great!

3/6/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, the Welactin are not going to be systemically toxic, but, it will cause diarrhea or vomiting. I would keep an eye on him if he vomits or develops diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you, ***** ***** any possibility that he may not vomit of have diarrhea

Yes, there is a possibility that nothing may happen as he is a big dog.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian