Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Blood in stool, won't eat she is 8 yrs old schnauzer.

Blood in stool, won't...

Blood in stool, won't eat she is 8 yrs old schnauzer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

PEPPER

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about PEPPER?

Was saw a week ago by vet for hurt back, we think she slipped on the icy deck

3/6/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Is she on any medications?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Is she lethargic?

5- Does she have diarrhea?

I don't think she ate anything other her food, she is on previcox, she has thrown up, and has diarrhea.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Is she lethargic?

20lbs and yes she just get up to go outside

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when we see blood with diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). This can be caused many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a recheck examination with your family veterinarian. In the meantime, stop the Previcox. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

Do not start the Previcox until everything is back to normal and your vet has agreed to restart it.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian