Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I noticed my dog had this red jelly like poop and some

Customer Question
I noticed my dog...

I noticed my dog had this red jelly like poop and some diarrhea. I have started giving her canned dog food along with some dry. She’s use to only getting dry though. Could this be causing that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Brie and she just turned one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brie?

She was spayed two weeks ago

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am talk to Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Brie. I am watching on a response and will be back shortly.
Sorry that was supposed to say hello I am dr. Nicole!
making a change to her diet and specifically implementing canned food cans definitely cause diarrhea and sometimes colitis. Colitis usually causes mucus to develop in the stool and sometimes a small amount of blood.
The best thing to do would be only feed the dry food that she typically eats. Do not add in any more canned food and minimize any treats. You can also Implement some original Metamucil which can help with diarrhea problems. If you provide me with her weight I can give you a dose that you can give to her. Do not get the flavored Metamucil just the original.
Does she otherwise seem to be feeling okay? Is she eating and drinking normally?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole