Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Should I take my dog to the park if he is limping? There's…

Customer Question
Should I take my...

Should I take my dog to the park if he is limping?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There's no visible wound on the foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Dewey, 9-10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dewey?

He has been limping occasionally for about a month. He has been walking unusually slow at the park for a while.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he limping from a front or back leg?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Has he been seen by a vet for the limping?

4- Is he on any medications?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

1. Back leg2. About a month, maybe more in a less frequent way.3. Not this case specifically.4. Yes, he is on natural medications for a urinary tract infection.5. Yes, he was just diagnosed with a urinary tract infection.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, in any case of a lameness the first thing to do is to rest the dog. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash. I don't know what his activities are in the park or how far is the park. But, if he does go to the park it should be for a very short walk to urinate and defecate on a leash; no running or jumping. Finally, I would recommend about discussing with your vet about doing x-rays and an orthopedic examination. In addition, start him on prescription medication like Rimadyl. Do not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Thank you. He typically goes for extended walks, up to a mile, and run often. He weighs about 26 pounds. My parents insist that he is walked on a daily basis. I am beginning to be concerned about this when I see him walking very slowly. I think that walks should be reduced significantly, but they resist. I can't get any advice on this, and though I can only hope that a professional would be able to convince them (I can't; I'm 25), they are very conservative about going to the vet due to the bills. My father became very angry about my refusal to go today. I would normally allow this assertion, but I believe that if I keep ignoring the issue to prevent conflict, things will get significantly worse. I think that if I can do anything besides provoking conflict, which I think might end up with him in defiance towards the suggestion and going to the park anyway, it would be to get a clear view from a professional. Thank you for that.

Friend, show them my assessment above. If he continues to go for long walks and is not rested and started on medication, it will get worse.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Hi Dr. Peter,I've managed to convince them not to take the dogs to the park for two days. There's another issue though- a room he frequently goes to is up a set of stairs. I've found that most often he is limping after he goes down the stairset. I'd like to prevent him from voluntarily going up and down the stairs by carrying him when he needs to. There are times at night when I can't do this, though my father is present at these times, I'm afraid he might not remember, though I think he might if I am insistent on it. He is still very unwilling to listen to my assertions on this and I have shown him and my mom your emails. I argue that if we aren't going to go to the vet we should take the safest route possible and limit his activity. I am willing to commit to this but I think it might be difficult having literally only sources of discouragement towards it in my life. I am also not terribly good at convincing them to allow me to make decisions on this because it's a sensitive topic for me and I tend towards using personal attacks to devalue their argument. I'm generally as worried about their sensitivity to this as I am towards my dogs, and I'm not sure if it's reasonable to compromise their insistence on being in control of this situation in order to be very attentive of my dogs physical health.Thanks,