Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My poodle (nearly 8) had a dental op and vomited during the…

Customer Question
My poodle (nearly 8)...

My poodle (nearly 8) had a dental op and vomited during the operation - now she has the symptoms you mention with regurgitation and not being able to keep food down. The vet gave her some kind of antacid but things are not improving - this started 4 days after the op and has been going on for 4 days now. The vet does not seem worried or even interested and did not explain any of these awful things I have read on here!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your poodle eat anything unusual?

She was starved before the operation and has not been well since.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your poodle?

No, she was perfectly OK beforehand.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr Benedetta, sorry for the delay in picking up your quesion.

How is your poodle today? still vomiting?

do you know what medication she was put on?

any other medication, or anything else going? is she still active, and eating, but regurging, or she is lethargic/feverish etc?

any bloodwork or rads pre/post dental work?

lonce i know the answers to these questions, i will be better able to help you!

Thank you,

Benedetta Sarno DVM

Hi Benedetta
Ivy is on Omeprazole and I have been giving her a German remedy called Heilerde (Fuller's Earth?), which the Germans use when they are suffering from excess stomach acid. I saw a similar case on the internet, saying that the person had tried giving the dog its food in liquid form. I have started doing that and Ivy has not thrown up since although she is still licking her lips from time to time and I suspect her oesophagus must still be in bad shape (if the acid from trying to vomit was in it for almost one and a half hours it might well be 'burnt'). Ivy is extremely active and has walked 1.5 hours with us today - she seems cheerful in herself and is sure to feel less uncomfortable now she is not vomiting. Ivy had blood tests pre op to make sure she was healthy enough (no problems) and her teeth are apparently in very good shape (nothing was removed). So it is only her oesophagus - how long do you think she should stay on liquid food (I am just putting her normal meat, veg, rice, fish etc in the blender)? Have you had any cases of dogs throwing up during ops and how long were they ill? Many thanks!

Hello, sorry for the delay!

glad to hear that Ivy seems to be doing better overall, and is able to tolerate liquid food.

Here are my thoughts about this case;

1) I would want to rule out a condition called megaesophagus, which is a distended flaccid esophagus; this is a condition not related to the surgery, but the surgery may have just made it apprent because of the vomiting while under anesthesia. This condition has 3 main underlying disease: hypothyroidism, Addisona's disease and myasthennia gravis. All are treatable/manageable, but of course they need to be diagnosed, and sometimes the megaesophagus is the flag. To look for megaesophagus, radiographs are usually sufficient.

2) she may just have an esophagitis from gastric reflux. NOw that she is not vomiting, it should not take long to heal, maybe 2-3 days. THere is a medication called sucralfate, which is used to coat the esopahgus/stomach, so that it is protected from the normal acid produced by the stomach, and gives time to the damaged tissues to heal. It is a pretty safe medication, and your veterinarian can script it for you, in additon to omeprazole. Another medication that could be useful is metoclopramide, which promotes gastric emptying, so the food cannot sit and be regurged up. Again, it would need a prescription.

My cases of dogs throwing up during anesthesia have not generally caused continued regurgitation; the concern has always been more for aspiration pneumonia, because even though intubated, food can still go down the trachea.

That is why I find it unusual for food to sit in a normal esopahgus for any time at all, and why i would advice to rule out megaesophagus.

Hope this makes sens, and helps!

let me know if you have further questions!

Benedetta Sarno, DVM