Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cocker spaniel is on day 59 of pregnancy. She had a mucus…

Customer Question
Hi my cocker spaniel...

Hi my cocker spaniel is on day 59 of pregnancy. She had a mucus plug come out on Sunday.Early this morning she had a bit of diarrhoea and a bit sick. She had a deep sleep for about 3 hours. I thought she would be in labour by now. But she is lively now and no signs . Her temperature was 37 c earlier and now it is 37.8 c. Most of the days it has been 37c .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cocker spaniel's name?

Florence

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs are not like people. Pups can be delivered as early as 59 days but usually they come at around 63 days or a bit later. Often the mucous plug discharge is seen a week or more before delivery. It is not a good indicator that labor is starting.

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage.

The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus. You can read more about this here:

http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this. A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees (37.2c), she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours. Now what can happen is that a person might not have the thermometer inserted far enough and thus the temperature is not accurate. You can read about this at:

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week. Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies. Here is an excellent site about whelping.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/medical-info/whelping/

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. They often vomit some bile from not eating. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start. If she has a serious reduction in appetite, is vomiting bile or eating grass, and trying to urinate and defecate a lot, then I'd be looking for pups the next day especially if the 37C temperature was accurate.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I thought I'd write a quick note to see how things are going. Did you find my answer helpful? I'd love to know. If you did find my responses helpful, I would appreciate a 5 star rating so I can continue to help others. Please let me know. I also want to add that if you need some help with things once she starts into labor, I'll likely be around.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner