Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 week old brittany dog vomited up her food today. He ate…

My 8 week old...

My 8 week old brittany dog vomited up her food today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Yes. He ate a piece of pasta off the floor. He also ate chives which we thought was just grass. He vomited it all up and became lathargic and a little shaky. This was 2 hours ago. He has been drinking water and stopped shaking and is napping now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Fergus

Hes also utd an his puppy vaxes and hasnt ever had any flea trestment or chemicals etc.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/6/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

I am so sorry that Fergus is having a rough day! Must have been stressful for you. Puppies have very sensitive stomachs... I suspect this is all related to the pasta and chives. Please offer no food until about 6 hours after the vomiting episode, then offer a tablespoon or two of a bland diet of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice.

If he keeps that down, you can feed that in smaller, more frequent meals for the rest of the day. If all goes well, you can try going back to puppy food tomorrow. If he continues to vomit you will need to see a veterinarian.

Good luck! I hope this helps. :)

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Thank you. His gums are pink and he has kept the water down. Hes twitching in his sleep and its giving me stress! I will follow your advice.

The twitching is normal for puppies sleeping. :) Take care!

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.