Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 14 years old. She is now almost completely blind…

Customer Question
My dog is 14...

My dog is 14 years old. She is now almost completely blind due to cataracts. For the past couple months her right side of her muzzle get swollen, but after about 24-48 hours the swelling goes away. This has probably occurred 3 times since January. I'm thinking that she just is running in to things. Should I be concerned its something else?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is a lab mix and has a couple fatty tumors, but my vet has never been concerned enough to remove or biopsy them due to her age

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 3 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common cause for the swelling you are seeing is a dental issue. They often cause swelling of the muzzle and even under the eyes. The infection builds up. It likely goes away when the abscess starts draining. I would recommend having a dental done on her. The optimum time would be when she was having an episode. At her age almost all dogs have a few teeth that need attention and often have abscesses. Larger dogs tend to hide their pain and will frequently eat on the "other" side to avoid pain or stop eating for a day or so. You might not even realize it. YOu can look for red gums, discolored teeth or broken teeth. Those would also indicate a dental issue as well.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I thought I'd write a quick note to see how things are going. Did you find my answer helpful? I'd love to know. If you did find my responses helpful, I would appreciate a 5 star rating so I can continue to help others. Please let me know.