Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog who is a 5 1/2 year old lab had an ear infection…

Customer Question
Our dog who is...

Our dog who is a 5 1/2 year old lab had an ear infection about 3 weeks ago. We were prescribed Otibiotic Ointment and Pharmaseb Flush for the ear. We followed the instructions and the ear seemed to clear, however, a large lump developed below the ear. We have had blood work, and ultra-sound and a biopsy and still no clear answer of what is going on. Currently she is on an antibiotic and prednisone and the lump still does not seem to be getting smaller. The next steps according to the vet is to take her to see a specialist for various tests. the cost of these test is going to be very high and at this time is not possible for us. Any thoughts on what may be causing the issues. The tests basically came back with an infection and they could not determine if cancer was an option from their findings.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Abby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?

She has been a very healthy dog up to this point.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Can you send me a photo of the lump?

Paul

she is very touchy right now and unfortunately can't get to it.

Okay

It is very hard to help without seeing it

Shall we try and get that photo a bit later?

Paul

I can try to take a picture but it is under the ear and not very visable

Understood- thanks for giving it a try :)

My wife is a double board-certified veterinary pathologist and I specialize in ultrasound so we both want to have a look

Can you get me the ultrasound and pathology reports also?

Paul

I'll have to see if the vet can fax them to me.

Thank you

Standing by

Paul

ABBY__Medical is below

Thank you

Give me some time

My wife is busy working on cytologies downstairs :)

Paul

Paul...I'm going to have to log out as we have an appt at 2:45....was hoping to have some additional information heading in...thanks for your help...

Sorry for delay

Are you still there?

I dont see the ultrasound or histopath reports :(