Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug shush tzu was fine last night but woke up this

Customer Question
Good morning. My pug shush...
Good morning. My pug shush tzu was fine last night but woke up this morning not wanting to walk or put any weight on his back left leg. I had to pick him up to take him outside . He limped slowly came back to me and sat down for me to pick him up. He wags his tail and his nose is wet. My question is what could have happened/ be the problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

JoAnn, I am sorry to learn Leroy is limping from the back leg. When we see a lameness that starts after resting this can be related to arthritis or a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. The fact that Leroy is only 4 years old I am inclined to believe this is likely related to a soft tissue injury. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. Leroy will need an orthopedic examination by your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, do not give over the counter pain medications most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medication your vet may need to use.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have another question. I put Leroy on the bed with my husband when I took my kids to school. When I came home I picked him up gently and carried him into the living room with me. Whe whimpered as I didn’t have any weight on the back leg I set him down and he stayed in that position no moving but I did notice his back leg was shaking slightly and he wouldn’t move it. If he didn’t fall could he be experiencing a sprained muscle .

The shaking is likely a sign of pain or if they are bearing weight weakness.

A muscle injury, yes, it is possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can a muscle injury heal on its own without treatment? Or is it necessary to be taken in? I worry transporting him I don’t want to cause anymore discomfort for him. Can he be seen with a veterinarian that does not specialize in orthopedics?

He should first see a general practitioner not a specialist.

I would rest him and start him on anti-inflammatory and pain medication.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian