Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Charlee was diagnosed with lyphatic sarcoma December…

Customer Question
My dog Charlee was...

My dog Charlee was diagnosed with lyphatic sarcoma December 20, 2017. I have been giving her lifegold and milk thistle with dandelion root and frankenscense. It seemed to be working all the way up till firday last week, now the lyph nodes in her throat area are starting to cut off her air supply. She coughs a lot trying to clear the airways and is getting food caught in her throat. Please help what do I do next? She is eating voraciously and playing a lot and is very alert.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is Charlee bleeding a lot?

Not at all just dry cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlee?

She is only seven years old I would like to have her as long as possible.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. If she is having trouble swallowing due to lymph nodes being enlarged from her cancer diagnosis, she might do best on some Prednisone to help shrink the lymph nodes. I would give her wet food with small chunks to make it easier for her to swallow. You can even puree the food in a blender with some added water to get it to a smoother consistency for her.

Ok then how long does she have approximately.
She could have anywhere from weeks to months depending on how she responds to the prednisone.