Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She sneezes so hard that she bangs her head on the floor,

She sneezes so hard...

She sneezes so hard that she bangs her head on the floor, happens repeatedly. She also sounds like she is congested really bad, problems breathing. Only happens randomly. Lasts for 2-3 minutes and then goes away. Happens day or night, awake or sleeping.. I have tried Benedryl not sure if it helped or not. She is a teacup chihuahua, weighs about lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

6lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is 6lbs?

Sorry, 10 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 6lbs?

She has had teeth issues in the past.

3/6/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. There could be a couple of things going on. First, I worry about her teeth being the underlying cause of the sneezing. A lot of middle aged to older Chihuahuas will develop a tooth root infection that causes them to sneeze. An infection in the mouth can also cause congestion in the throat and chest which can account for the breathing problems. However, there could be something else going on with the nose and chest causing these symptoms as well. I would recommend a thorough exam with your local vet to determine the underlying cause. I would continue the Benadryl (1mg/lb every 12 hours) to help with inflammation in the nose and throat for now until you can get her in to the vet.

Thanks.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions along the way.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian