Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cairn terrier has been exposed to chemicals from pressure…

My cairn terrier has...

My cairn terrier has been exposed to chemicals from pressure washing the house. He has broken out in an itchy rash on his underbelly and many parts of his body that come in contact with grass. I am treating with benadyrl and baby aspirin, keeping the areas clean with peroxide and applying bacitracin to heal the skin. Is there anything else I can do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Ozzie Michael

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ozzie?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ozzie?

No except he frequently gets hot spots during the high pollen times. I am treating this red, bumpy rash like I do the hot spots.

3/6/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Poor Ozzie! Sounds like you're doing everything to can at home. If the rash is not improving after a day or two then he may need oral steroids or oral antibiotics. At home you can also try epsom salt soaks for 5 minutes twice daily to help soothe, or applying witch hazel to the rash. Hope he feels better soon!

Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Thank you for the quick response. I had not consider witch hazel or epsom salt soaks. Some of the hot spots appears to be healing. I wanted to expedite his comfort.

You're welcome. Keep me updated!

I have applied the witch hazel twice now and the rashes are healing. Will try the epsom salts today. Ozzie is comfortable with the meds.

Great!

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian