Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is having seizures while on Keppra. Some of the seizures…

He is having seizures...

He is having seizures while on Keppra. Some of the seizures make him congested. Can I give him Benadryl? And can I give him Valarian root or melatonin to calm him if he's on Keppra?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

English Bulldog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the English bulldog's name and age?

His name is***** and he is 10. Even though he is 10, his blood work always comes back perfect and all his organs are properly working. He had started with a vistibular issue 2 years ago which slowed him down a bit. He just started getting seizures, that I have noticed, in the end of December. I left him with a sitter over night, and when I came home he was having a seizure and has had them off and on for the past 24 hours. Could that have occurred from him not swallowing his Keppra for the sitter when I wasn't here?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr?

This happened worse after the first week he was on Keppra and I took him into the vet and they put him on Lasix and oxygen. It isn't as bad as that, yet and I want to prevent it from getting that bad

3/6/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Aww, poor Mr. Bojangles...sorry you're having issues. It's common for animals to seizure more in times of stress, so your being gone and a sitter there could have made him seizure more. You can give him benadryl at 1mg per pound up to 3 times daily. Assuming he's a big guy, that's 50-75mg. I see no drug interaction between melatonin or valerian with Keppra, so if you'd like to try those you can.

Hope he doesn't have major issues again! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Will benadryl help him if he is congested and coughing up fluid. I have him an appointment with a neurologist in the morning, but I gave him a shower to get the urine off of him from his seizures and I think that was a bad idea because now he is coughing up fluid. I think the stress of he shower gave him a seizure that caused this congestion. He would get it a little bit and I would be able to control it. He got real bad January 2nd and I took him to his regular vet. I read later that I could have calmed him down and tried remedies at home. Is there anything that can help him?

I'm so sorry he's having this issue. Glad to hear you have an appointment with the neurologist...sounds like he make need to be on another medicine, or an increase in his current one. As far as home remedy, I don't have too many suggestions. Just trying to keep him calm...maybe try benadryl consistently 3 times a day, as that has a sedative effect. They say even essential oils can trigger seizures, so I wouldn't recommend those. I hope the neurologist can help him out.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian