Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 30 pound French Bulldog MAY have ingested a small roll…

Our 30 pound French...

Our 30 pound French Bulldog MAY have ingested a small roll of Hubba Bubba Bubble Tape. We're really not sure if he got any or not...according to our daughter, the amount that we found him near was the amount she said was originally left over in the package, so we're hoping we got there in time and he didn't actually eat any. Is there anything we should do as a precautionary measure, or anything we should watch closely for?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Leo, almost 2 years old. Thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?

No I don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago might this have happened { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. Did he eat the plastic container as well or just the tape?

About 10 minutes ago. He did not touch the case, and he *may* not have even eaten any of the actual gum. But I'd rather be safe than sorry! Thank you for your help!

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, even if he did swallow this gum it is not likely to cause him any harm. The ingredient list for this product is Sugar, Gum Base, Corn Syrup, Glycerol; Less than 2% of: Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Corn Starch, Acesulfame K, Aspartame, BHT (To maintain freshness), Color (Red 40 Lake). Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine. There is nothing there toxic to dogs, the only problem ingredient would have been Xylitol which is present in some sugar-free gums and this can be very toxic to dogs. Thankfully this is not present in Hubba Bubba Original Bubble Tape.

2. Also chewing gum, in general, is not a problem to dogs, it does not stick to their insides or anything even if swallowed in large amounts, it just harmlessly passes along their digestive tracts.

3. Given the above, there are no special precautions you need take. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Leo's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Phew! That's very good news! I thought I had read that Aspartame could also be toxic to dogs so I was a little worried about that in particular. Thank you very much for your advice and quick responses!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Well, I do not know how healthy Aspartame is either to dogs or people, however, it is certainly not toxic in any way to dogs ...

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Leo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Hubba Bubba Bubble Tape issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott