Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She keeps scratching herself to the point of getting scabs.

She keeps scratching herself...

She keeps scratching herself to the point of getting scabs. We've washed her with flea shampoo, I poured tea tree oil mixed with hydrogen peroxide on her and then rubbed coconut oil all over her and left it on and she is still scrathing at herself. We think it may be mange. Shes got a couple red patches.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Maile

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Maile?

8 months

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is Pit bull/ Rodesion ridgeback. We feed her solid gold wolf cub so i dont think its a food allergy.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I think it's possible that she has one or more of the following going on:

1. Atopic dermatitis - this is allergies caused by something in the environment such as certain grasses and pollens - This can be treated with antihistamines and/or immunotherapy (allergy drops).

2. Skin parasites - this can be diagnosed via a skin scraping done by your vet.

3. Flea allergy - Some dogs are so allergic that even if you haven't seen any fleas, if they get a single flea bite, they have an intense allergic reaction

You also mentioned the possibility of food allergy. I agree that it is still a possibility even though she might be on a high-quality food. You could try feeding her a grain-free diet to start with. If that does not help the itching, I would do a diet trial with a prescription, hypoallergenic diet, or a prescription diet that contains a source of protein and a source of carbohydrate that she has never had before. Some of the available products are duck, venison, rabbit, and kangaroo. She will have to only get the prescription food for at least 3 months to be considered a proper diet trial that actually gives good information.

To reduce her itchiness, I recommend giving her some Benadryl to start with, while you and your vet are working on finding the cause of the problem. About how much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She s probably 50 pounds. She is already on a grain free diet.

Thank you for the picture. Is he having any other signs? How are her appetite and energy level?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Appetite and energy is good. Hasn’t changed.

Okay that's good. You can try giving her 2-4 Benadryl tablets to see if that helps with the itchiness. It may not be a cure to the problem but it will make her more comfortable. To figure out what the underlying problem is, I would have some skin testing done at your vet's office, including a skin scrape, tape cytology, and Wood's lamp check for ringworm. The skin scrape and tape cytology would check for skin parasites, yeast, and bacteria. The treatment would be for whatever the vet finds. Sometimes skin parasites are not found on the skin scraping, but that does not mean they are not there, in which case some vets just treat for skin parasites and see if that solves the problem. The treatment for skin parasites is easy and safe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou

You're welcome. If I have been helpful, please consider giving me a 5-star rating. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian