Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a beagle. Female. Since yesterday she has been peeing…

Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a beagle. Female. Since yesterday she has been peeing some dark red slimy substance. I first thought it's loose motions but then I realised it's coming from her vagina. What can it be??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She's a little restless.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Well she hasn't been through any accident though. But that dark red almost brown substance is all over the place. I guess she her stomach is paining as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hazel?

Oh yes ..she also puked couple of days ago. It was like yellow water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Hazel eat anything unusual?

Yes she did before she puked she had a foil paper. Which came out in the poop

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so rry to hear that Hazel is having this issue. There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind
5.) She is intact and coming into heat

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Thank you very much!
Also you said it could be bladder tumor but in senior dogs. May I know how senior. My beagle is 5

It is more common in senior pets but really we can see it at any age. An abdominal ultrasound can help rule this in/ out but typically we want to rule out bladder stones/ crystals and a urinary tract infection first and foremost. If this recurs a second or even third time than an abdominal ultrasound will be warranted

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian