Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 lb Manchester terrier at a sliver of onion. I know

My 9 lb Manchester...

My 9 lb Manchester terrier at a sliver of onion. I know onion is toxic to dogs. Should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the terrier ate?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the terrier?

It was a piece of onion about an inch and a half, maybe two inches long

3/4/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about the onion that your dog ate.

While you're absolutely correct that onion has the potential to cause toxicity issues for dogs (and cats, for that matter), ingestion of this small amount of onion isn't going to pose any issues for him/her. It would take far more than this..7 teaspoons for a 15 pound dog, for example or 3.5 teaspoons for a 7.5 pound dog...before toxic effects might be seen.

He/she'll be fine. Deb

Thank you

You're welcome; I'm glad to provide peace of mind in situations such as this.

Take care, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb