Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy went out for a pee this morning. Started to bark…

My puppy went out...

My puppy went out for a pee this morning. Started to bark then had what looked like a seizure and started to bleed from nose and mouth. We took him to the vet and the vet thinks it was from low blood sugar. This was 7 hours ago. And he won’t stop breathing fast. The vet did an X-ray and there is fluid in his lungs. The vet seems to think it will get better with rest but like I said it’s been 7 hours and he’s still struggling to breathe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Jace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jace?

No he’s a healthy 4 month old Cocker spaniel

3/4/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Okay.

This is not fluid in the lungs...it sounds like blood to me and that your puppy is slowly bleeding to death........your puppy is not going to get better and this IS NOT FROM LOW BLOOD SUGAR! Do you have a vet ER on your area and has your puppy eaten any rodenticide of any type even up to 3-4 weeks ago.....it sounds to me like your puppy may have gotten into mouse or rat poison. And I don't want your puppy to die but he will if we don't get right diagnosis and treatment.

Any chance of any consumption of mouse or rate poison in any amount in last 3-4 weeks?

sorry...rat

Your vet is wrong about this.....

No. No chance. We have non of that here.

Regardless......this is very serious and your puppy is not going to get better without treatment.......low blood sugar does not cause fluid in the lungs EVER......do you have an ER?

Diagnosis is wrong.....

Do you have a vet ER???

No not where we live. We drove an hour this morning with him.

ok, I understand...but if you want him to live you are going to have to find one and get him there.....

Will do. Thank you

Do not go back to vet you saw this am.....

Your dog should not have been sent home....

Can I answer any other questions or help you locate proper ER?

Let me know if you need additional help and very best of luck to you and your puppy....I hope he makes it.....DRB

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Hi. I took him to the er. He died. Thanks for your help.

I am very very sorry to hear of your loss.........DRB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian