Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy is 7 weeks old has been wormed for round worms tape…

Puppy is 7 weeks...

Puppy is 7 weeks old has been wormed for round worms tape whip hook. And also treated for coccidia. Is still very thin and gaunt looking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Merlin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Merlin?

Just he was doing real well then had a poop sample sent in and they found the coccidia. His brother Midas is the same way still very small only 68 oz. I have them on Pedialyte and plain yougurt along with their mush. The other puppies are fine in the litter most of them weighing 100 oz or more. There was 9 in the litter we lost one in the first week in a half. She was gaining weigh then just started waisting away. Then finally passed.

3/4/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments is he on just now for the coccidia?

Since you have only given a history without a question, are you looking for information on how to get some weight onto him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It starts with a p it was originaly given to horses. A pee size amount for three days. His last dose was day before yesterday

Hello again,

Do you mean Panacur (as that usually is given for 3 days)?

Anything else or perhaps Ponazuril?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ponazuril for the coccidia. He had panacar for the round worm and a different wormer for the tape
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will add this he is part of a foster litter . I have been his foster to his mom and she gave birth here at the house. Seeing I have had other litters here with no incident I'm going to assume they got the coccidia from there mom.

Ah, thank you for confirming those.

Now I am glad to see that they are covering all bases here. Though I'd note that with regards ***** ***** coccidia, we'd want to make sure there is a fecal sample retested after treatment (possibly even 2 a week or so apart) to ensure Merlin is clear and there is no re-infection (especially if any others are carriers or if the environment is contaminated). Otherwise, the key here will be getting increased intestinal absorption to increased calorie intake and with it weight gain. To do so, we will need to give his intestines time to heal post infection but otherwise would want to use a calorie rich diet like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and it will get more in per bite. As well, there are nutrient pastes (ie Nutrical, GNC, etc) that can be added to his current meals to just get more in. And for his size, we want him to at least get 384kcal per day. Though to get him up to his siblings, he'd need ~465kcal for that weight goal. Finally, just further to the yogurt, I'd suggest fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) be added to these meals to firm stools safely and support digestion as that too will improve gut absorption and help us get Merlin back up to a normal weight.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

****************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ive been adding formula replacement to the mush also to try and put on some extra weight.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5

Hi again,

That is good but do double check the calories in those since sometimes they aren't quite as much as the calorie rich diets and could mean slower weight gain.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian