Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has lesions on his face. we give him a bath with

Hi Dr.Gary. Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Hi Dr.Gary.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

My dog has lesions on his face. we give him a bath with medicated shampoo, and it spread further on his body. Should I stop to use the medicated shampoo ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Oscar , and he is 2 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?

He almost died after vaccines when he was 3 months old, and after that he is allergic almost to everything.

3/4/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don"t know how. I have the image on my computer

Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-**** who will help you get the image to me.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to be a nasal pyoderma that has spread. This pyoderma is a facial bacterial skin infection that may occur secondary to trauma or insect bites. This disease may be closely associated with eosinophilic furunculosis ("boils" infiltrated with the white blood cell eosinophil). Treatment involves the following:

1) Gentle, topical, warm water soaks with a chlorhexidine shampoo should be used daily for 7-10 day to remove any crusts.

2) Systemic antibiotics should be administered for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and continued 2 weeks beyond complete clinical resolution.

3) The prognosis is good, but scarring may be a permanent sequela in some dogs.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much.

You're quite welcome. You should be able to find a chlorhexidine-containing shampoo over the counter. The antibiotics have to be prescribed by Oscar's attending vet. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian