Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet diagnosed my dog with a raw throat Tuesday. He has…

My vet diagnosed my...

My vet diagnosed my dog with a raw throat Tuesday. He has been throwing up undigested food since Monday and has lost weight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He had knee surgery the beginning of February. He will be 8 years old this summer.

3/3/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Were any diagnostics (xrays, bloodwork, etc.) or any medications sent home with him after his vet visit on Tuesday?

He wasn't given any diognostics, but this is the same vet he's gone to since he was 8 weeks old. I've already spent 400 dollars on him this month and it's just the 4th. He was given a shot and sent home with eye drops (his eyes are also running cold) and an antibiotic. I boiled chicken and rice for him and have given him 2 teaspoons every 2 hours with just a few swallows of water. So far he's kept that down.

Ok, I'm glad to hear that he is holding down the small amounts of food so far. I would recommend also starting on some Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb every 12 hours). This is an antacid that can help to decrease any acid reflux when they are having some vomiting. I would up the food to 1/4 of a cup of chicken and rice every 4 hours. You can also offer 1/4 of a cup of Pedialyte every 3-4 hours as well to help him maintain his hydration and keep his electrolytes in check as well.

He has stopped eating again and threw up his supper this morning.

I see, well it sounds like he is going to need some diagnostics to figure out the underlying cause.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you