Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My GSD is 1 yr old and one foot is larger than the other and…

My GSD is 1...

My GSD is 1 yr old and one foot is larger than the other and he limps on it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes I did and there isn’t that I can notice

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?

No he is a very active dog. Doesn’t whine that it hurts. And still run and play on it

3/3/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did you first notice the foot was swollen? Can you check the skin between his paw pads and see if there is any redness or swelling?

I checked and it seems normal

And when did it start?

No I would rather type
It started a couple days ago

There are are couple likely causes. The first is a fracture, dislocation, or severe sprain.

The other possible cause is an infection in the joint.

It would be a very good idea to have an x-ray take to make sure there is not a dislocation, fracture, or infection.

That is the only way to know.

As long as he is not on any medication, and he does not have any other health issues, you can give him human aspirin for pain. The aspirin has to be given with food or it can cause stomach upset.

10mg of aspirin, per each pound of dog, every 12 hours with a meal.

He should rest, and not run or jump, until the swelling is gone and the size is back to normal.

Ok thank you

You may use cold therapy to help with some of the swelling or pain.

Use an ice pack or a bag of frozen veggies wrapped in a thin towel.

Hold it on the foot for 20 minutes an hour as needed.

You are very welcome.

Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

No not at this time

Okay, if you have any other questions later feel free to reply again. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby