Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Both have a diarrhea with mucus and it maybe some blood.

Both have a diarrhea...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dogs Pom and Japanese Chin each about 8 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes a Pomeranian and a Japanese Chin

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pom's name and age?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chloe?

8 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

Quincy 7 years

3/3/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. When we see blood and mucus in the stool and diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Metamucil which is a fiber supplement that can help firm up the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I am very happy with Dr. Schmidt. He is helpful and answers quickly. 5 put of 5 in my opinion.

Thank you so much, I appreciate that. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Schmidt