Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am now the proud owner of a dog with severe tarter. I’m…

Hey Dr. Bruce... I am...
Hey Dr. Bruce... I am now the proud owner of a dog with severe tarter. I’m wondering what the process of treatment and outcome might be? I’ve attached a photo of the worst of it. I’m really wondering how many treatments he will need, are his teeth salvageable from what you can tell, etc. ugh... I know it ain’t good. Trying to call vets to fit him in on Monday.
3/3/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi again! Good job on the picture. That is definitely a very significant amount of tartar visible on that canine and the premolar and incisors around it. This is a situation where there are unknowns here. What your vet most likely is going to do is to do a good physical exam on him and some pre-surgical blood work. IF all that looks good, then they will set up a dental cleaning. At that time, they will anesthetize him to clean and exam the dentition. Ideally dental x-rays are being done (not all practices have this) to assess the health of the teeth below the visible gum line. What they are trying to do is to get each tooth as healthy as possible to save it. If it is beyond saving, they will extract it and I'm suspicious there will be a few of these. The good news is that even if teeth are removed, that is in his best interest as at this time those teeth are a constant source of discomfort and infection.

Thanks! I don’t see the option to submit a rating... Hmm
Do you close this out or something so I can rate?

Sorry about that! I forgot to hit the correct button on my side! Let me know if I can clarify anything else. How is Graham doing!?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
He’s great other than jacked teeth! We’re scheduling for the extractions. Likely all of them have to come out. I’m just hoping his tongue doesn’t constantly hang all the way out like one of those worlds ugliest dogs. But either way I think he’ll be 1000 times happier when it’s done.