Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old mini spitz. She just isn't acting right.

I have a 7...

I have a 7 year old mini spitz. She just isn't acting right. She just lays around, usually very hyper. She didn't eat when it was offered at the usual time, but did finally much later. Her belly seems firm to me, and a little distended. I don't hear much in the way of bowel sounds, if they are similar to human bowel sounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the spitz. What is the spitz's name?

Squeaky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Squeaky?

No illnesses that I know of. I've had her about three years. She is usually somewhat hyper. Jumps up in the air and does somersaults when I get the food dish, chases toys, etc. Just laying around now.

3/3/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't seen any vomiting or retching. She tenses a bit when I touch her belly, but doesn't yelp or anything. Resp rate is 54. Gums are pale and a little dry. I don't think she ate anything harmful. I feed her Petfresh refrigerated dog food. She doesn't chew on things. Environment hasn't changed. This has been going on about 3 days.

Hello again,

Would you say they are paler then usual for her?

Hi again,

I have to say that I don't like this situation for her. Squeaky isn't giving us a lot to go on but if she is tense even when putting on a brave face, then we usually would be suspicious of a pancreatitis or gastritis. That said, I am concerned that her gums are paler then usual and she also has a distended belly. The reason is because I have to question whether she has a bleed (from a stomach ulcer, from her spleen, etc). Or we could also see these kinds of signs with reduced circulation from GI blockage (less likely those given that she isn't a chewer but a concern if her gut is obstructing itself or is being compressed by another larger organ/mass . So, I'd be keen to have a look at her gums if you could post a photo (use the paperclip icon above your text box) to assess how pale she is. Or if you think she is very pale, we'd be best having her seen at this point +/- have her local vet scan her abdomen.

Otherwise, just with regards ***** ***** supportive options to see if we can soothe his gut, we could try her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can try tempting her with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Overall, Squeaky's signs do raise a few concerns here. So, again if she is very pale, we are best having her seen to be safe since I am concerned that could be blood distending her belly. Else we can try the above to see if we can get her more comfortable but again if you can post a picture of her gums I am happy to look, though I am concerned about the above for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help. I took her to our vet. He is keeping her for tests, but it doesn't look good.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am very sorry to hear that they are also concerned about her. But she is in the safest place now and acting at this point without delay will give us the best chance to help her.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you.

Dr. B.

**************************
Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian