Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

When i returned from work this evening my 37 lb 5 month old…

When i returned from...

When i returned from work this evening my 37 lb 5 month old pup had been vomuting in his crate. there was a large more solid that i think was deer hair . the rest was frothy mucos. he has been very lethargic. vomiting the thick mucous several times. very ill.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Has had all vaccinations. usually very active and happy.

3/3/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy. I'm so sorry he's having trouble and has you worried, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need.

With young puppies like this, we only feel safe waiting out a vomiting situation when they're bright and alert and otherwise acting normal. In a case where the puppy is vomiting severely and very depressed and ill, it's a medical emergency.

I'm so sorry I don't have better news for you, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't wait until morning in this case. I'd be off to the ER.

With the deer hair in the vomit, I'm especially worried about the possibility of a GI obstruction, where stuff is stuck in the digestive tract. That's a surgical emergency.

Is there anything else I can help you with? I want to be as helpful as possible since you're in such a difficult and potentially serious situation.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you tonight.

Thank you for using our website.

I'll be hopeful you get some good news at the ER tonight.

Just checking in to ask how your pup is doing today. Are things going better?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I took him to vet. Gastroenteritis was dx. Xray shows no obstruction. All better now. I was in a panic that night
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian