Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 yr old Maltese, coughs some times it is a squeaky sound…

My 9 yr old...

My 9 yr old Maltese, coughs some times it is a squeaky sound and some times it is like he had something stuck in his throat, no flex, dry cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Marley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marley?

He is soooooo sweet, true lap dog!

This is new, he eats and acts normal. The coughing starts when he gets excited, like when Daddy comes home.
Some times it is squeaky and other times sounds like a normal cough. Not productive, dry cough.
3/2/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Marley. I'm sorry he's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You said this is a new thing. How long has it been going on?

Has Marley recently been boarded or groomed?

Has Marley been putting on weight lately?

Thank you.

This is been going on for about two weeks
He had the cough before he got groomed I know kennel cough and it’s not kennel cough He is not gaining weight he’s just the same

While I await your reply, I want to send you the link to this video. It does a good job explaining about "collapsing trachea", one of the most common possible causes of squeaky cough during periods of excitement, especially in a toy breed dog like a maltese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjo_nzD-0YQ

Okay... I'm glad you're familiar with kennel cough and that it doesn't sound like that.

The two most common things to cause episodes of a squeaky cough with excitement in a small breed dog are:

• collapsing trachea
  • hypoplastic trachea

They can look and sound really similar, but a hypoplastic trachea shows up on x-rays.

Sometimes you can elicit a coughing spasm by pressing on the front of the throat when a dog has either one of these conditions.

Pulling at a collar can make it happen, too.

I'd definitely advise using a harness, not a collar, if this is happening.

It's also important to pursue other, less common causes of a squeaky cough:

• heartworm disease
  • heart disease (including heart failure)
  • other types of parasitic infestation

I have to tell you I really love Maltese... they are the best-ever companion dog, so content to sit on a lap all day. They have the happiest temperaments.

Unfortunately, they can be prone to respiratory problems due to the small size and pushed-in faces. They're not as bad as pugs in this regard, of course, but can still be affected.

Please let me know what you think after watching the video.

I Watch that video you showed me of the collapsing trachea and that’s exactly what it sounds like I’m just glad to know that it isn’t more serious I’ll get him to the vet next week Thank you Dr. Jo

That's such good news!

I'm glad the video was helpful.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate me 5 STARS on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you so much for using our website. My best to you and sweet Marley.

I give Dr Jo an A++. She was right on with her information. Thank you Dr Jo

You're very welcome!

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian