Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Heeler partook of "kitty" last night in clumping litter…

My Heeler partook of...

My Heeler partook of "kitty nuggets" last night in clumping litter and i am not sure how much he ate before i caught him. He is lethargic today and not eating. I read about pumpkin. Should I try that to get him going?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Freckles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Freckles?

He is about 7 years old

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/2/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

There are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the object please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed small more frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat which is bland yet bulking to hopefully assist in pushing through the litter. Add water to increase lubrication and therefore motility of the gut

- Take several nice walks today to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the litter through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian