Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is about 85 lbs and ate less than half an oz of Devon…

My dog is about...

My dog is about 85 lbs and ate less than half an oz of Devon mouse poison. I have given him hydrogen peroxide and since he has thrown up 2 times. I don’t have a lot of money and can’t afford a vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

Yes Devon.. less than an oz

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Decon

3/1/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

d-CON contains either brodifacoum or difethialone. Both are anticoagulant rodenticides. Thankfully, ingestion of less than half an ounce of either won't intoxicate an 85 lb dog. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Prior reading your response i gave him a bit more peroxide per instructions a vet technician family member. Thank you for your positive answer. I hope he is okay. All i can do now is wait and keep an eye correct?

Yes, monitoring only makes the most sense. While unlikely, bleeding under the skin, from any orifice, or an increased respiratory rate indicating bleeding into the chest cavity are the signs to watch for. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian