Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate pork chop bones two days ago baked ones. Dottie.

My dog ate pork...

My dog ate pork chop bones two days ago baked ones

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Dottie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dottie?

She’s 7 years old she’s a British bulldog she’s very lathargic no energy no appetite and consipated I have hand fed her twice today and she kept it down

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Dottie is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If she is simply constipated due to the chop bones then you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of 6 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one tablespoon twice a day for a dog of Dottie's size.

3. But if the above measures do not quickly work or other symptoms appear then you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later as there is always the chance of something more serious such as an intestinal tract obstruction.

6. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Dottie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for getting back to me , she’s been like this for two days now and I have noticed slimy remnants around her nose lastnight she’s very depressed and out of character I am really concerned obviously because of her age.Siobhan

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well, there is a concern here if this has been going on for two days, so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have your vet check her over ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will monitor her throughout the night and If there is no improvement by the morning I will take her to the vet. Thank you so much for your help. God bless

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go with Dottie ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Dottie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the pork chop bones issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi dr Scott. After your advise I monitored her all night and she is back to the normal happy dog that she is thank you so much for you’re help This is such a relief to me and my Mammy because she’s the extra heartbeat in the room that we are totally in love with it’s so important that there is vets like yourself available online to help us panickers your work does not go un noticed god bless you

Hello, again Siobhan,

I am so glad things worked out and Dottie is back to her normal self, great news! :-)

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian