Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 month old boxer puppy. About 2-3 weeks ago she…

Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a 9 month old boxer puppy. About 2-3 weeks ago she began licking at her back- not right above the tail but a bit higher more toward the upper part of her hips. My mom says she thinks it’s just an itchy spot on her back but I cannot even touch a good portion from her upper part of lower back to right below her shoulder blades without her back nerves looking as if they are going crazy when I just pet her. If we pet her repeatedly she thumps both hind legs crazy fast and licks and licks where we are petting or even itching for her. We had her groomed and they said she doesn’t have fleas or dry skin. We bought her a new flea treatment the chewable kind that covers heart worms, ring worm and fleas all in one. They said they cleaned out her anal sac at the groomer and she is on grain free food. She does get treats and people food from my 8 year old little girl sometimes but not constantly. What do you think this is? What else can I do for her??? We have 4 dogs and she gets lots of play and exercise with them. We also live on a good amount of land and fenced in a bit less than an acre for them to run and play in.... please help!!! Thanks!!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

CC.... my daughter named her Clementine Capri and we call her CC. The medicine we gave her was bought from her veterinarian. They recommend it and we buy it for all four of our dogs every 3 months. We are trying to do all we can without having to take her in to our vet. We just took her before all of this began and they charge crazy amounts of money just to see her much less all the tests they are going to do.... any ideas???

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CC?

No.... her mom has severe allergies and gets ear infections and yeast buildup in her ears because of it. They haven’t been able to pinpoint the exact allergens that bother her mom but another two pups in her litter already suffer from allergies too.... we don’t smoke in our home

2/28/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about CC. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

So when you touch along her back she twitches and leg starts to scratch is that correct?

She is also licking an area near her hip?

Is there evidence of an hair loss or red skin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi!
Thank you for your prompt response!!!
CC is a fun; beautiful girl and she is our wild child!!
She has three brothers she loves very much and the pack dynamics are interesting!!
I did all the things you asked about just a moment ago and yes, when I touch or run my finger down her back especially the mid to lower back it twitches BIG time! Then she starts thumping her leg usually the right leg and licks like crazy over and over and over while I do my finger on her back and continued to lick around her hip areas for a couple of minutes even after I was done touching her back.
This came out of nowhere and like I stated initially, I had her groomed and an oatmeal skin treatment done in case, made sure they didn’t see dry skin or any lesions and they said no, no fleas or ticks, they cleaned her anal sac out. They are all on grain free food but do get treats we try to give all natural bones like beef ribs or things like that. They love their bones any kind of bones. She doesn’t appear to have an ear infection or to be constipated or have diarrhea from what I have tried to observe the last couple days. But no, I don’t see any really red skin areas or any balding spots

Ok. Give me a minute to type.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sure! Take your time, thank you for taking time to try and help me with this. I’ll wait for your answer

It sounds like your dog is very itchy and this is why CC is reacting the way she is when you touch her skin. The most common causes for itching skin in a 9mth old puppy;

1. Fleas - great that you are on a good preventatitve
  2. Mites - these will need to be diagnosed with a skin scraping by your vet
  3. dermatitis/skin infection - these be primary or sometimes secondary to any of the other conditions I have mentioned. Sometimes they can be bacterial infections and sometimes yeast. Treatment requires antibiotics or anti-fungals depending on the diagnosis
  4. Food allergy - I can see that CC is on a great diet but some dogs are just allergic to certain types of food. To determine if this is the cause you would need to change her food EXCLUSIVELY to a low allergen diet e.g. Science Diet z/d for 8 weeks and see if it helps. When on this she can't have treats or bones or any other food.
  5. Contact allergy - this is where she rubs on something and it is irritating her. This may be grass, dust mites or many other things. Usually a contact allergy means we are itchy on the paws or belly where we come into contact with things.

My advice would be to visit your vet to at least get some medication to help stop the itching as it may just be a simple infection (number 3. above) that will clear up easily and quickly.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! Thank you so much!!
Is there anyway I could get a prescription from you? Or do you think it’s best to definitely take her in to my vet??
I hate she is itching this way!
Is there a way to get rid of mites?
We vaccum atleast every other day if not daily. We wash their blankets and beddings once or twice a week. I will certainly try the science diet food experiment too. Any suggestions for helping alleviate the itching in the meantime till we get her into her vet here in Louisville, Kentucky?? We are going to be out of town tomorrow and a friend is checking in on them so I’ll try and get her in Friday with them. Is there a cream or otc pill I can try till then?

I wish I could give you a prescription or recommend an OTC cream/pill but without getting a proper diagnosis at your vets it would likely be a waste of money.

Treatment of mites can be done with OTC medications but there are different types of mites and each mite requires a different medication. Also the medication for treating mites is expensive (just like everything else!) and so it is better to get it ruled out first at yor vets.

How is CC's itching going? Did you manage to get a vet examination? Dr Luke

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! Thanks for following up. I took her Friday to the vet. They had to clean out her anal glands and put her on a medication often used for allergies I believe she said. It’s called Apoquel. Twice a day and it’s made all the difference in the world!!!

So pleased to here and thank you for letting me know.

**************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Absolutely, thanks for your advice!! She’s a happy girl again. A bit of tenderness here and there but improving daily!! Thanks again!!!!

My pleasure

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian