Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her stomach is hard and bloated, she is now coughing like…

Her stomach is hard...

Her stomach is hard and bloated, she is now coughing like theres something in her throat, she's been doing that for a while but its worst. She is 14, had her at the vet he recommended Milk Thistle, her liver was enlarged but not disease and she had gas, she eats but is very picky and drinks, plus is still going to the bathroom

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Heidi, she is my last of my rescues so I want to keep her healthy and comfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Heidi?

No just my child :) she is a little terri mix

2/28/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Heidi. When coughing arises concurrently with a hard and bloated stomach (suggesting an abdominal effusion/free fluid in the abdominal cavity), right-sided heart failure should be an important consideration. Her vet will need to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Heidi's thorax (chest) and if fluid is confirmed to be present in Heidi's abdomen, a small amount is removed and analyzed for its physical qualities and cellularity because not only right-sided heart failure can cause such fluid but also liver, kidney, or bowel insufficiencies, and inflammatory disorders in the abdomen such as infection or neoplasia (cancer). Less commonly, a hard and bloated stomach will be caused by gaseous distension of the GI tract or organomegaly - enlargement of the abdominal organs. X-rays or ultrasound are used to clarify which of the above are present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He did X-ray her and the liver was enlarged, what are the options to remove the fluid?

The fluid can be manually extracted and a diuretic might be prescribed to hasten removal of the fluid through the kidneys, but ideally the cause of the fluid would be determined and treated successfully. If liver failure is the cause, the liver would need to be examined further (an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy, for example) and specific treatment designed for her liver prescribed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He said it was enlarged but did not look disease the edges were normal, so an ultra sound would be recommended, she seemed to have gotten softer a couple days ago but now she’d bloated. What kind of diet would you recommend? Raw?

Any dietary alteration should be predicated upon the underlying disease process which hasn't been clarified as of yet. Do consider having the ultrasound performed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will the X-ray didn’t show muchThanks

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian