Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My is a 40 pound dog that sliced his foot opened. Like

My is a 40...

My is a 40 pound dog that sliced his foot opened. Like sliced the pad of his foot opened, he won’t stop licking it and now it has an odor. We got him penicillin G 300,000 iu/ml. My question is how many mls do we give? And how often? Also is this a SubQ or IM injection?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Taz

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taz?

He is very active and never stops playing! He is limping a lot. And his foot is very painful. Can I give him aspirin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Ya he has a big cut in his foot. My husband was sharping his knives and taz jump up and sliced his foot with the knife. The pad of his foot is cut wide opened.

2/26/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Correction the mediation is 300,00 u/ml

I'm sorry to hear of this with Taz. Dosind of that penicillin is 10,000 units per pound subcutaneously once or twice daily for 5-7 days - 1.3 mL once or twice daily for Taz. It sounds as if it's already infected. Have Taz stand in a solution of chlorhexidine twice daily. You can find Hibiclens in your local drug store. Consider having this wound debrided (devitalized tissue removed) and then sutured closed by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?