Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My German Sheppard ate a handful of chocolate graham

My German Sheppard ate...

My German Sheppard ate a handful of chocolate graham crackers

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Name is***** he 8 months old. About 60 poinds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Porter?

Otherwise he is perfectly healthy

2/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Good news there isn't much chocolate in these kinds of graham crackers. So, for a dog Porter's size, this isn't overly worrisome. If anything we could see mild short term GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) but we may not even see that here. So while we could induce vomiting (which I am happy to discuss), we don't need to. Just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. If his stools get a bit loose, canned pumpkin can be added to these meals to firm them but we'd expect no lasting harm here for him at all.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************

I aim to provide best care for your pets just as I do for my own patients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Thank you very much for your quick response I really appreciate it. I will be sure to give some white rice and monitor. Your answer has been very helpful!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of help and always glad when I can give good news in these cases. :)
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

**************************
Afterwards please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping pets here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian