Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was just reading what someone wrote in about their

Hi yes I was...

Hi yes I was just reading what someone wrote in about their weimaraner gagging, we just rescued a weimaraner on the 21st and on the 23rd she started gagging, with nothing coming up off and on for several hours. And it has been daily but not constant. The vet at the shelter where we got her gave her a good health record. Shes about 6 yrs old. Do you think the pepcid would work?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Izzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzy?

No she seems fine other than the gagging

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Izzy...and congratulations on the newest member of your family, by the way.

Please give me time to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Alrighty I am waiting. As I stated she acts normal, eating (she does eat a little fast) but she only eats twice a day. She drinks normally, active and barks.

There could be several explanations for the gagging that she's doing but since she's a rescue dog, the most common cause is going to be Kennel Cough (aka Tracheobronchititis). This condition is secondary to either a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs. If a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly. But if this is a virus , then it will have to run its course....which is usually between 10-14 days. Kennel cough tends to worsen before improvement is seen and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.

There are other conditions such as pneumonia or Canine influenza which mimics kennel cough in the early stages but these dogs rapidly become sick. If she's otherwise acting fine, then I wouldn't worry about these diseases.

As to over the counter treatment options, Pepcid AC isn't likely to be very effective, unfortunately. Cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex. But acceptable ones to use include Dextromethorphan. The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mgs per pound of body weight 2-3 times a day. You'll just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

I'd also advise that you feed dry dog food (if this is what you feed) soaked in water for 15-20 minutes which turns the food into mush and is less likely to irritate the throat when swallowed.

I might also advise you to call the rescue personnel since they may be able to dispense antibiotics for her without taking her to a vet although this sort of service is variable among shelters.

But, regardless, if she worsens in any way, then a vet visit might be a good idea.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dextromethorphan is that a typical cough medication for people? thanks so much and I will soften her food this pm

You're most welcome.

Dextromethorphan is that a typical cough medication for people? Yes, this is a human drug which can be given to dogs.

Best of luck with her, Deb

i took her to the vet and it was kennel cough, he put both my dogs on meds. Thanks so much for your help

My pleasure:)

And, thanks for taking the time to send me an update; hopefully, she'll respond pretty quickly. Take care, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb