Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old German Shepherd and she ate a chocolate…

I have a 4...

I have a 4 month old German Shepherd and she ate a chocolate granola bar

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the Shepherd's name?

Maze

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maze?

She ate chicken bones this morning so my vet gave her an anti vomit shot

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds }?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe 30 minutes ago and she’s 30lbs

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Maze very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 30 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 21 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate in just one chocolate granola bar is going to be very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes. And the other ingredients of this bar are likely to be non toxic to dogs.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as Maze ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Maze's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! This puppy is going to give me a heart attack one day.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

She sounds a right character! But she will live to fight another day :-)

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Maze is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate granola bar ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian