Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Teacup Poodle that has had diarrhea for the last 10…

I have a Teacup...

I have a Teacup Poodle that has had diarrhea for the last 10 hours now he's got blood coming out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the poodle's name and age?

Leo 9 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?

Nope he's been healthy.

2/21/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Leo is having problems with diarrhea. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the important things to monitor is for dehydration. This would constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure his hydration status.

There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

It goes right back. His gums are wet.
I take it he doesn't he is not dehydrated?

That is great news. As long as things stay like that then Leo can be treated at home and does not need to be seen at an emergency clinic. The blood that you are observing is likely caused by the excessive straining that is occurring from the diarrhea. The straining will pop some superficial blood vessels in the colon and blood leaks in the feces. It is not dangerous and will resolve once the diarrhea stops.

Treatment for diarrhea is to give a medication to improve colon health and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to treat diarrhea is kaopectate. Activated charcoal can help too.

You will also want to change the food to a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. You can also add fiber to help bulk the stool. Fiber sources consist of canned pumpkin or Metamucil. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow Leo to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If he continues to have diarrhea for more than 3 days, or if you notice a worsening of her dehydration, then he should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help to answer your question?

thank you very much I was really worried about you.
About him not you.��

lol. Thank you. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry