Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Chocolate Lab is 9 years old and has chewed all the hair…

My Chocolate Lab is...

My Chocolate Lab is 9 years old and has chewed all the hair about 2" from the tip and has caused an open wound in the process.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mocha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mocha?

Hr has alot of fatty tumors but otherwise is very healthy and up to date on all shots.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

From where did he chew all the hair?

on his tail

How long has this been going on?

about a week

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

i can send you a picture if that would help.

Friend, it sounds like he may have a localized infection or inflammation to this area. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and skin scrapping.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian