Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just dropped my trazedone tablets on the floor and my 3…

I just dropped my...

I just dropped my trazedone tablets on the floor and my 3 year old ate 3 so 150 mg! she's just been spayed today and she weighs approx 70lbs! should I give her mil or something??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Shadow

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?

No, she's in great health..german shepherd & pitt mix. a bit whiny at at the moment but thats just her looking for attention

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Im really afraid I'm going to have to make her throw up....she's just been spayed hours ago....
She's ate a tin of food two hours ago and 2 dentastixs since

Luckily this medication is used regularly in pets and at 70 pounds (32 kg) and ingesting 150 mg is an ingestion of 4.7 mg/kg. The dose range for trazodone is 2.2-14 mg/kg so we are well within this dose range. I suspect you will see some sedation from this ingestion but it should not be toxic to Shadow at all

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion outside of the expected sedation from this dose.

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

She's sort of wandering around...normally she lives with Dad so being at Mom's is unsettling for her. Hence the crying. She's peed & pooped about an our or so ago. should I wait to take her out or let her try to settle. I figure she must be tired already with having had anesthesia today

The vocalization is common with the medications we use to sedate for anesthesia and I always caution owners that it can occur the first night. Very unlikely related to the trazadone. I would let her settle for a while if you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thanks.... by he way...think I overpaid by 20 dollars because wasn't sure the paypal went through...dont suppose thee's anyway to get that back.....
Just saw you don't get bonuses......consider the extra a bonus Dr Altman!!
Thanks

I am going to send the question to customer service to hopefully get you a refund for the additional fee. Thank you for the positive rating and best wishes to a speedy recovery for Shadow!

If you want you can keep the extra as your own bonus....I feel greatly relieved and much more informed re bocalizatipm after anesthetic! I know A LOT about dogs but that’s the first I’ve heard of that and explain a lot. Especially as I’m the one she normally calms down with! So go get a drink on us!