Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 yr old Pitt mix who is very active. I fed him…

I have a 5...

I have a 5 yr old Pitt mix who is very active. I fed him dinner tonight and he ate all as usual but an hour or so later he started acting lethargic and seemed to be in pain. I palpated his stomach and it is painful to touch. He’s laying on the couch beside me. He was shaking but that has stopped. His gums are pink and crt is 1-2 seconds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Charlie

2/21/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to help with Charlie. I'm sorry to hear he has abdominal pain. What did he eat for dinner? Has he eaten anything else today, and what was it?

He eats For Health grain free kibble. I haven’t given him anything else.
I can take him into my vet in the morning I just want to know if you think he will be ok until then.
Every now and then he gets and upset stomach and has to go out in the middle of the night and has diarrhea.
I can tell he’s hurting.
Breathing is normal and he has stopped shaking.
Gums are pink crt is 1-2 sec

Ok those are good signs. Does he ever eat things he shouldn't? Has he vomited or had any diarrhea?

Sometimes he does but he’s always pooped it out. No vomiting or diarrhea.

Ok, it sounds like he will be fine overnight since his breathing is normal, gums are pink and he has not had any vomiting or diarrhea. About how much does he weigh?

He weighs about 60#

Ok you can give him some Gas-X and Pepcid to see if those make him more comfortable. You can give one 125 mg of the Gas-X and 40 mg tablet of Pepcid.

Ok. I’ll try that. Thank you.

You're welcome. If my answer was helpful, please rate me 5 stars now. If not, or if you have further questions, please reply now and I would be happy to continue our conversation.

Ok
5

Thanks so much!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian