Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dashhound-sophie is 5 years old. Last week she yelped when…

Dashhound-sophie is 5 years...

Dashhound-sophie is 5 years old. Last week she yelped when you touched her lower back. Today her back legs aren’t working and her stomach area is very hard.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sure Dashhound-sophie feels you are doing your best. What is the matter with Dashhound-sophie?

Above problem. Did you get it or shall I retype?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does Dashhound-sophie seem to hurt?

Area by her back legs, on her back between the legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dashhound-sophie?

Not that I know of. She’s always been healthy and never had any issues

2/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she dragging her back legs?

2- Can she stand?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

I forgot to add she has the shivers

1- Is she dragging her back legs?

2- Can she stand?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

1. Yes
2. She can sit up but try’s not to stand, she can’t bear any weight
3. No

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing in Sophie is consistent with a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. In other words, a disc slipped and is putting pressure on the spinal cord interfering with the motor function to the back legs. This is an emergency, the longer she goes untreated the less likely she will recover. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. Strongly recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian tonight.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Do you know of a clinic near Crestview FL and about what that cost is?

I am sorry, I don't. I am in Michigan. You may want to google or call your local information center at 311.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter