Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a loud gurgling in his tummy. His tummy is making…

My dog has a...

My dog has a loud gurgling in his tummy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

His tummy is making a lot of noise and he isn't eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Butters Parker he's about 5yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Butters

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Butters?

He was vomiting yesterday but not today

2/20/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any diarrhea?

2- Did he get into anything?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

No diarrhea. I don't know if he's eaten anything else. He hasn't eaten his food. And yes he's calmer than usual
No I don't want to call
He doesn't have any pre-existing conditions

How much does he weigh?

12 pounds

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the loud gurgling you are hearing is secondary to the smooth muscle contraction and gas in the intestines; this is common when the patient is not eating or has vomiting and diarrhea. The big question is: Why is he vomiting and not eating? This can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, an infection or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause Butters will need a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting after giving him the pepcid ac offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter