Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 y/o Cockapoo has an upset tummy, diarraha. He didn't…

Hi. My 13...

Hi. My 13 y/o Cockapoo has an upset tummy, diarraha. He didn't eat yesterday and is only taking in water via syringe. I checked his gums and they are discolored. I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the 72 hr. rule or take him in. I'm hopeful that it will pass since he's not throwing up but I wanted to find something to compare his gums to.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Yes. On Sunday he had some pieces of a cow's foot (uncooked).

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Aubry. He's 13.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aubry?

That's the only unusual thing he's eaten. Oops, that was on Saturday.

2/20/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Aubry. What color are his gums currently? Do they look as though they are pigmented? You can send a photo through if you like.

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Thanks for those. It definitely looks like they are salmon pink at the moment which is good. I am replying now and will have a response with you asap.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Aubry here to cause this stomach upset and diarrhea, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given he is 13, we also need to consider potential issues such as an internal organ issue or endocrine problem. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Aubry, and if these symptoms continue, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep up the good work in monitoring his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color. The photos you sent through definitely look as though he is currently salmon pink, but do check his refill time as well as follow...

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you think Aubry is a little nauseous right now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Aubry and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he starts vomiting and can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Thank you. Salmon. That's the color I was thinking but it's hard with the pigmentation. I will make an appointment for tomorrow or Thursday. I can always cancel when he starts feeling better. Thank you.

No problem at all and hopefully he improves overnight! Do take in a fresh fecal sample when you head tomorrow as well. Your vet may want to sent this away for a full culture and float.

All the best,

Dr E

Thank you. I will take him in tomorrow. I forgot to mention he has a bad back and I've started him on his Tramadol. Something similar happened about a month ago but w/o the diarrhea. I isolated him for two weeks, gave him his Tramadol, Rymadyl and Milk Thistle and life got better. Maybe playdates with his cousins are too much for him. The diarrhea alarmed me this time around.

No problem! Yes - do follow up with your vet tomorrow to be sure. Rimadyl can sometimes cause GI upset as well, but it sounds like he is currently off this. Tramadol is generally pretty safe!

All the best,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian