Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 5 yr old golden retriever is showing signs of hip pain.

Our 5 yr old...

Our 5 yr old golden retriever is showing signs of hip pain. We live in an apt building where we usually walk up the stairs. While he went down the stairs all right, he refused to go up. It is so painful that he has yelped in pain while lying down and also yelped when I barely touched his left rear hip when he was lying down. He has had no history of hip difficulties. He did go for a trail run with a friend on Friday, but seemed fine until today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Golden Retriever's name?

Bodie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bodie?

He is healthy and fit! Weighs about 80 lbs.

2/19/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Hip pain is always a possibility, but his symptoms can be consistent with a back injury as well, specifically a herniated or bulging disc. It is difficult to say for sure without doing a thorough orthopedic and neurologic exam. The safest course of action is to have your vet examine him tomorrow and prescribe some safe pain medications. There are no human OTC pain medications that are considered completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John