Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 8 month old golden retriever and I'm still

I have an 8 month...
I have an 8 month old golden retriever and I'm still hesitating whether I should neuter my dog or not. Could you please help me with that?
2/19/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have some questions on whether or not to neuter your 8-month old golden retriever. This is a very interesting topic and I would love to help you with it. What questions do you have?

actually my question is whether I should neuter my dog or not?

Ok, that is a fair question. We know the decision about whether or not to neuter has more to do than simply preventing unwanted pregnancies. We know that keeping dogs intact increases the chances of prostatic disease, perianal tumors, and testicular tumors. There is also the added benefit of ameliorating unwanted behaviors. However, a recent study has created more conversation about the proper timing. The study used 1-year of age as the criteria and found a positive correlation with other cancers and orthopedic diseases for dogs that were neutered less than 1 year old. This was a retrospective study, which means they simply looked at dogs with a diagnosis and determined when they were neutered. There are some problems with these kinds of studies in that it does not control for any other variables that may contribute to cancers or orthopedic diseases (i.e. genetics, nutrition, environment, etc.). However, it is interesting nonetheless.

What I can say is that there would be little to no harm in waiting until after 1 year of age to neuter. The recommendation broadly is still to neuter, but the timing of when seems to be changing. The study only looked at 1 year of age as the mark, but they may have found a positive correlation at 2 or even 3 years of age. More studies need to be done to determine if there is any causality with age of neuter and cancers / orthopedic disease, but that is what we know right now.

Does that help to answer your question?

I should clarify a statement above. I said, "There is also the added benefit of ameliorating unwanted behaviors." I was talking about neutering decreasing unwanted behaviors. Keeping a male intact may increase the risk of unwanted behaviors and that is a reason for neutering.

it helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry