Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog ate raw salmon that was thrown over the river…

I think my dog...

I think my dog ate raw salmon that was thrown over the river bank. What should I do. I live on the coast of Washington if that helps.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Chancey May and she is 8 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chancey?

She did get salmon poisoning once several years ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about chance may. I am working on a response will be back shortly. When did she ingest the raw salmon?
chancey
If it was within the last hour or two I would absolutely induce vomiting. If it was not within the last hour then I would definitely take her in tomorrow and start preventive measures for salmon poisoning. I currently work in Oregon and we do this all the time to hopefully prevent complications from salmon poisoning. Better to search treatment than to wait for her show serious signs and symptoms.
start treatment
On the river bank behind my house
How long ago?
Less than an hour ago
if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide I would give her 1 teaspoon per 10 lb. If she does not vomit within 15 to 20 minutes then I would try to induce vomiting only one more time. If she does not vomit then I would absolutely take her in either tonight or tomorrow morning for preventative treatment. Or if you have an emergency hospital close by they can also induce vomiting for you.
The other option is if she does not vomit within that time then take her in tomorrow for the prophylactic treatment so that she doesn't develop any adverse clinical symptoms.
Thanks I don't have hydrogen peroxide but will take her in tomorrow AM
That's a really good idea. Even if she is feeling good tomorrow I would definitely take her in. I know that you are fully aware of the complications of salmon poisoning and you do not want to wait for her to get sick. I hope this information has helped. Please keep me posted on how things are going. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is always appreciated and is how we is experts are recognized for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. So keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you I will
I just wanted to check in with you and see how things were going with chancey may. Is she feeling okay?
got into vet early Next day and she is on doxycycline and feeling great