Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She jumped and landed on her face. The side of her face is a…

She jumped and landed...

She jumped and landed on her face. The side of her face is a bit swollen and she is bleeding from one of her nostrils It's an English bulldog. About 8 or 9 years old she was a rescue

2/19/2018
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of some help.

Did you see the injury occur? In other words, are you sure that is why her face is swollen and her nose is bleeding?

Are her gums and tongue pink in color?

Does she seem to be having any difficulty breathing right now?

Write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to continue the discussion.

I saw the injury happen. No she is breathing like she normally does. But I notice sometimes an air bubble of blood is coming out of her left nostril and her tongue and gums look pink.
Her left side under her eye looks a bit swollen. And she seems to be startled easily right now which she usually isn't.
I checked the inside of her mouth and ears and there is no bleeding there.

Ok, I am asking these questions to help assess for any urgency to the situation. English Bulldogs are very prone to respiratory issues, so facial swelling of another nature, for example an allergic reaction, is going to be of a greater concern. Trauma could also result in respiratory distress, but from what you've described it doesn't sound like that is occurring.

The blood is obviously likely related to the trauma, dogs can get bloody noses from this type of trauma just like people can.

The thing you want to watch for is that swelling. If that seems to be worsening, and especially if it seems like she is having any change to her breathing, she should be assessed by a veterinarian in person on emergency.

I would not advise giving any human pain medications. Do you happen to have any past prescription pain medications for her at home? Let me know if so.

Otherwise, I would advise keeping her cool. Overheating her may cause panting and increase the likelihood of respiratory distress issues related to the facial swelling. If she will allow you to place on ice pack on the swollen areas and her nose this may help alleviate some of the discomfort and swelling. If she has not returned to normal by regular business hours or just to be sure she looks ok even if she has returned to normal, I'd advise having your local vet look at her.

If this were presented to me in person I would prescribe an anti-inflammatory for the pain and swelling and otherwise monitor, unless I thought the trauma was severe enough to advise more aggressive diagnostics (for example imaging) or treatments.

I received the picture. Her gum color looks good. If her eye seems uncomfortable checking for a corneal scratch or ulcer with a fluorescein stain may be suggested (cheap and quick in-clinic test in which the cornea is dyed a green color to look for damage).

Do you have any pain or anti-inflammatory medications previously prescribed to her or another dog in the home?

No I don't have any meds. She has never had an Injury before so I have never needed any �� I will most definitely monster her for any further swelling.
monitor.
It's been over an hour since the incident. Should her nose have stopped bleeding already? Seems like when she breathes out a little blood keeps coming out.

Ok. Then again I'd advise to not given any human pain medications as they are not safe for dogs. Just stick with the ice pack and monitor for worsening swelling or any change in her breathing or gum color. If these are occurring you should seek urgent assessment by your local veterinarian if possible. I'd suggest calling your local vet tomorrow during regular business hours to get her checked out, especially if any continued swelling or bloody nasal discharge is occurring at that time. Ice and pressure and time are your best bets at stopping the nasal bleeding, but noses are very vascular and thus bleed quite a lot when injured, it may be the bleeding has subsided but the blood is still draining out of the nasal cavity. Much less likely, dogs can have clotting disorders just like people can.

Ok will do thank you.

Let me know if you have further comments or questions, simply write me back as you have been and I will again respond as soon as I am able.

Otherwise, please be sure at this time to go ahead and rate my help using the stars, this is how experts on this site receive credit for helping answer questions, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian