Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Consumed salt at the bottom of a pretzel bag. It's been two…

Consumed salt at the...

Consumed salt at the bottom of a pretzel bag. It's been two days. Still lethargic and won't shake as if has a headache.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Chelsea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chelsea?

Shaking. She is eating normally and using the bathroom normally. Sometimes has some pep but not herself.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Chelsea. How heavy is she and how big was the bag of pretzels she was licking? She would have had to eat a lot of salt for symptoms of hypernatremia, so is there anything else she could have gotten in to over the last few days?

I will wait to hear from you.
Dr E

She is 16 pounds. The bag wasn't big but just all the salt at the bottom of an empty bag. Can't think of anything else. She also has a bruise on her inside leg (I think she tripped up the concrete steps while running).

Ok thanks for that. It is quite unlikely that this amount of salt would cause lethargy and shaking like this, and if so - we would expect her symptoms to have settled within 7 - 8 hours rather than continuing on for several days. As such, we definitely have to consider whether Chelsea could have some musculoskeletal pain going on here (the bruise could be a clue here along with the fact you saw her trip on the concrete steps), or even whether there is an internal organ or endocrine issue in the background here. It is good to hear she is eating and toileting normally, and do continue to encourage her water intake as well. If she is still lethargic and shaking in the morning, you are definitely best to play it safe and have her checked by your local vet. Here they could even carry out a full blood test to ensure her internal organ function and electrolytes are all normal.

For this evening, please keep an eye on Chelsea's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

She was tested positive for lime disease months ago but after antibodics was good and borderline. Could that be something coming back to harm her?

We would definitely need to keep that in mind, and it would be worth having your vet follow up on that tomorrow if possible. Hopefully she is otherwise fine overnight!

All the best,
Dr E

Thank you so much!

No problem at all!

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian