Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Doc! We talked last on January 10th about my 6 lb Yorkie…

Hi again Doc Paul!We talked...
Hi again Doc Paul!We talked last on January 10th about my 6 lb Yorkie with pancreatitis. Prior to that we spoke on December 23rd.Since January 10th, Oliver has been 100%. About 2 weeks ago we started him on a raw food chicken diet- Primal Pronto is the brand. He has been loving it. We did a slow switch starting on Feb 1st & its been his official diet for about 2 weeks like I said. Our local dog store recommended it, since he has had pancreatitis & his prescription medicine was up. They said it’s been known to be beneficial to dogs who have suffered pancreatitis.Today, out of the blue, he decided he didn’t want to eat. This is extremely rare for him & of course I’m concerned that this is the beginning of another pancreatic attack. I think I’m always going to be fearful of this because as I mentioned, my vet wasn’t very helpful with what to look for, etc.I am in the process of finding a new veterinarian at the moment.Does loss of appetite seem like it would be a flare up for pancreatitis? What do I need to be looking for? Is there any other reason he might be suffering from loss of appetite?
2/18/2018
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille, and I'm a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best,
Camille - Moderator
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Brazzell here

Sorry for delay- I was tied up with my son's hockey tournament

How is he doing tonight?

Paul

That’s okay. He’s actually great again.
I’m getting ready to be out of town for 2 weeks though & so I’m very nervous about leaving him.The only other thing I can think of, is that the pet store I visit also had me put him on a probiotic. I read the package wrong & I definitely was giving him too much. I’m not sure if that could have caused some tummy trouble?He hadn’t pooped at all that day, and once he did, he wanted to eat again.Does that sound like a probiotic issue? Or perhaps he was having a little pancreatic issue? I just want to make sure I give my sitter great info about what to be looking for, because I want him to be okay :)

Doubt the probiotic would be an issue

Could have been pancreas related

I am not a big fan of RAW diets- too many negatives from using those

Still would feel better if he was on a prescription diet designed specifically for pancreatitis

Paul

I no longer have the prescription for the low fat food so I am unable to purchase it. Again, I’m looking for a new veterinarian as mine hasn’t been helpful. My local pet store recommended the raw food specifically for his condition. Said their dog had pancreatitis & that’s what their vet recommended. When I researched it sounded like it was a good fit, but I’m definitely open to what is best for him.Is there a Food that you think would be best for him that is OTC- or something I can ask a new vet for, that they will give me?

Pet store is clueless- sorry

I would visit a clinic near you and ask to chat with the nurse or even better yet the vet about a good diet

Royal canin, Purina, Hills all make prescription diets- low fat- that is for sure the way to go :)

Paul

Thank you for your help! In the meantime, what do you think as far as signs of pancreatic distress? How will I know if he’s having a flare up?

The signs of pancreatitis are not unique.

Vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, abdominal pain

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian